How to prepare rice flour
- Clean the black urad, rice and wheat, soak in water and immediately spread out in the sun to dry for 2 - 3 days till absolutely dry. Now grind it into a flour.
- For this dish you need a specially prepared round stone in which katori type depressions are made, and which is covered with an earthen lid called askali.
- This stone is kept on burnt coal fire or hot ash, when hot, rub oil or ghee in the depressions.
- Now put the ground rice, wheat and urad in a piece of cloth which has a hole in the middle.
- Press the paste-filled cloth allowing thick rings of the paste to fill the depressions.
- Put the lid on and let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Take out these puffed askalies with the help of a skewer.
For sweet askalies
- add khuskhus, sugar and dry fruits (ground) and for salted, khuskhus or chana dal (soaked and ground to a paste) and add it to flour prepared specially for askalies.
- These can be taken with dal or curd if salted and milk with ghee if sweet.